First Highway Bridge in Sicamous Across Channel
It was a red letter day, in ideal weather condition, on June 18, 1950 that the brand new and first highway bridge across the channel at Sicamous was opened. May Queen Yvonne Rokosh cut the ribbon which formally opened the last gap in the BC section of the Trans Canada Highway. Around three hundred people were present at the ceremony which was followed by afternoon tea at the Legion Hall, served by the Sicamous Women's Institute, sponsored by the local Board of Trade. Speeches by visiting dignitaries, including the Provincial Chief Engineer, Mayors from Salmon Arm, Revelstoke, Armstrong, the local MLA and the President of the local Board of Trade concluded the ceremonies.
During the speeches much praise was offered to the Provincial Government bridge crew which built the bridge. No indication of the actual cost of the bridge was given, but the Chief Engineer mentioned that during 1950 a total of 20 million would be spent of new highway construction in British Columbia. The bridge was built over the fall and winter 1948/1949 which had been a very difficult process.